Here is a short chronology of what has happened so far.
- Jean got in touch with me because she wanted to figure out the ancestry of her great-grandmother Effie McMaster who was born in Ontario in 1861. She found that she had a DNA match to Keith who recommended she get in touch with me. Keith like me and others descend from William McMaster and Margaret Frazer.
- I looked at Jean’s genealogy and found a connection to my ancestors William McMaster and Margaret Frazer. Effie lived with her Aunt Susan McMaster Beckett in 1871 and with an Isabel McMaster. In the 1861 Beckett household Isabel McMaster was already there as well as a George A. McMaster. George A. McMaster was the son of George McMaster and Jane McMaster. Jane McMaster was the daughter of William McMaster and Margaret Frazer. Jean’s tradition was that William McMaster and Margaret Frazer were the parents of Effie. However, given the time-frame, that would be physically impossible. I believe that William and Margaret McMaster were Effie’s grandparents. Isabel could have been Effie’s mother.
- I asked Jean if she would upload her DNA to Gedmatch for comparison. Based on comparisons with other descendants of William and Margaret McMaster, it seemed probable that William and Margaret McMaster were Effie’s grandparents. Jean also matched other people from a Frazer DNA project that I manage. I noted that Jean had an ancestry that could result in an X DNA match with other descendants of William McMaster and Margaret Frazer. However, Jean’s DNA upload to Gedmatch did not include her X Chromosome.
Jean’s Surprising Lack of X Chromosome Matches on the McMaster/Frazer Line
That brings us up to present. Jean did upload her X Chromosome results, but I could find no matches with known descendants from the McMaster/Frazer couple that we have been looking at. I can think of three possible reasons:
- The first would be that Jean does not descend from William McMaster and Margaret Frazer. However, all other evidence seems to lead to the conclusion that Jean does descend from that couple. There are other explanations.
- It could be that Effie’s parent was a male McMaster. However, that would only eliminate the William McMaster as a possible X Chromosome donor to his son. This possibility seems less likely.
- Isabel or a female McMaster is still the parent of Effie, but the X Chromosome representing William McMaster and Margaret Frazer were not passed down to Jean. This is the option that I am favoring.
How To Explain Jean’s Lack of X Chromosome Match
Here is how Jean inherited her two X Chromosomes. She got one from her dad which is the same as the X Chromosome he got from his mom. However, we are not interested in that line in this Blog.
It is Jean’s mother who descends from Effie. Etta gave Jean her X Chromosome which was some combination of the DNA from Paul Swayze and his Adams wife. However, we don’t know what that combination was. It could have been half Swayze and half Adams or all one or the other. I have mapped out my three sisters’ X Chromosomes and it looks like this:
My three sisters are Sharon, Heidi and Lori. They all got the same DNA from their dad. That was the Frazer DNA that he got from his mom. The mother’s side is what we are looking at. Sharon got about 1/3 of her mother’s father’s purple DNA followed by about a third of her mother’s mother’s DNA, then back to her mother’s father’s DNA. On the bottom row, Lori, got a variation of that theme but in reverse order and in different amounts. Heidi got a tiny bit of her mom’s mother’s DNA followed by the rest being all her maternal grandfather’s DNA. My guess is that Jean’s X Chromosome could be all of her paternal grandmother Adams DNA and little or no Swayze DNA. That would explain why she wouldn’t match other McMaster/Frazer descendants on the X Chromosome as her McMaster and Frazer X Chromosome DNA would come i on the Swayze side.
It is possible that if Jean has siblings that had their DNA tested, they would likely have a different combination of X DNA that may show the descent from McMaster and Frazer. The reason I say this is that when Paul Swayze passed down his X DNA to his daughter Etta, it was the same X Chromosome that he got from his mother Effie. Effie had two X Chromosomes that she got from what we are saying was her McMaster mother. Her McMaster mother who we are initially guessing was Isabell passed down some combination of X DNA from William McMaster and Margaret Frazer. That is why, if our genealogy is right, the main reason that Jean doesn’t match other McMaster/Frazer descendants on the X Chromosome is the reason I explained above. Actually, there is another possinbility. That is that the inherited X McMaster/Frazer Chromosome that Jean inherited isn’t lining up with the X McMaster/Frazer DNA that the other McMaster/Frazer descendants inherited.
Summary and Conclusions:
- Some previous large X DNA matches lead me to suppose that I was matching some people on my McMaster/Frazer Line. This came to be true as I was able to line up genealogy and DNA matches. As it turns out, I am still finding descendants of William McMaster and Margaret Frazer.
- Jean found me and I was able to connect her genealogy with my McMaster/Frazer ancestry.
- As a result, I thought that the reverse would be true, that she would match certain McMaster/Frazer descendants on the X Chromosome.
- I was reminded that just because there can be a match doesn’t mean that there has to be a DNA X Chromosome match.
- I discussed some ways in which Jean would not match other McMaster/Frazer descendants on the X Chromosome.